Over Sea, Under Stone (The Dark is Rising, #1) - Susan Cooper It's been almost more than ten years now since I first read these books--and, indeed, that was the only time I read them. So much time has passed, with so many things changing and constantly keeping my attention away, that to sit down again with books I had read as a kid, and let my heart be taken up and swept away into great tales, magic worlds that touch our own! Things that can be; things that are--all this is a gift that is so hard to find anywhere else, and yet so easy to discover when reading.

None presents it quite so well as this series. It is simple, and yet it is magical. It is a little concept that is as easy to grasp as it is to choose sides on. You are drawn in, and for all the little adventures you get strung up upon, it awakens delight and excitement, anxiety and fear, wishes, hopes! You're brought to life by this timeless battle of Good versus Evil, by the unending majesty of King Arthur's times, and what he had left to us to fight for, and to believe in. There is an ancient and beautiful glory in this book, capturing that age-old awe--the feeling, the knowledge, that you are suddenly stepping into a world that once was, that once truly was there, and that it still can be found, everyday, if you look hard enough, in every part of your world.

*Smiles and brings her hands before her face, suddenly bursting them from each other, fingers breaking apart and palms pushing through the air.*

Magic.

A sense that you're a part of something greater than just you. A sense that there's more to things than meets the eye.

*Grins* There is wonder to be found in tales like this, when you let your heart go down the paths it once followed all the time: where everything is possible, where mystery and wonder is everywhere, just waiting to be found.

What this book does... is unleash the possibility. If you give it the chance, if you give it the time, that wonder and awe and belief you had as a child--that anything is possible--can come back to light: right here, right within these pages, in this book. Because what Susan Cooper did for me, even all these years later, long after reality has hit home and hit hard, is to remind me that even when being "grown up" and having to face the toughness of life, everyday on end, there are still small wonders worth entertaining: worth dreaming about; worth living for.

Won't you give this book a chance? I promise you, it only gets better. I'll see you all in The Dark is Rising next!