Frankenstein - Mary Shelley ...I had a long review written out for this that was lost when my internet crashed. ...well then.

Let's just put it this way. The book is decent, however I've got major problems with the main character, Victor Frankenstein. He places all the blame on his creation and never takes the blame on himself. When he does so, it feels shallow and immature, like he's playing himself off as this great "tragic hero" when in reality he's a selfish, thickheaded man who didn't even want to give his creation the care and love that it required to become a functional and well-rounded human being. Instead he shuns his creation, calling it a monster because of its appearance--even running from the room when it barely first opens its eyes because he thinks it's "hideous" and running from the house when the second time around it comes to look in on him while he's in bed in a purely curious manner, thinking obviously that this man is his father.

The book itself is filled with countless plot holes that are far too convenient to be written off sitting down. If anything they're a shamble that holds the book vaguely together, and while the plot and concept is a sound and inspiring one--after all, this has become one of the most famous creations to date in our society, where everyone knows of Frankenstein's monster (even if it's by his name)--still this doesn't make up for the shortcomings of the characters and the story's execution.

Overall, it's an interesting idea, but you can get all you need from this book out of a summary of it. Reading it took far longer than a book of this short a length should, mostly because I found it tedious and dull. The concepts are all that are worthwhile, unless you enjoy the immense outrage that rages within you as the reader whenever you come across another instance of Victor Frankenstein's violent rejection of the being he created.

It gets a two from me. It's not badly written. The language is fine. But it's slow and often times drawn out for far too long. It could have been half its length and still have conveyed all the essentials without being so cumbersome or unbelievable in some points.

You can and at some point should go back to this great name's origins to check it out though, if nothing for the experience. It's a good history lesson for the infamous "Frankenstein" that you always hear of, but may not know the true origins of. That I feel should be a good purpose to your reading it. But if you're not collecting classics for a purpose, you may not want to buy this book right off the back. Read it first--I'm positive libraries everywhere have it--and decide from there.